You found a nanny job that is exactly what you have been looking for. You may be nervous about what to expect. Or, maybe you want to be the best nanny that every parent finds indispensable. If this is your first time to find a domestic staff job, we have 7 Tips for a First Time Nanny.
- Be on time! Your employer is counting on you.
- Tell the truth. Plan your personal days – don’t call in sick at the last minute the day after a concert – ask for that day off with ample notice. Be honest and up front – dishonesty is the single biggest reason a nanny loses her job.
- Be serious about your job. It is not good work ethics to leave snack dishes in the sink, put your feet up on the table, or invite friends over.
- Treat your employer with respect. Be positive and bring a sunny smile and cheery attitude to your job every day. Treat the children as they were your own and you’ll gain a great reputation.
- Don’t gossip. Honor your employer’s confidentiality. Never post anything on any social media that your employer would be embarrassed by.
- Help when you can. Run to the store without being asked. Take the dog out for a walk. Offer to prepare a simple meal for the family to help the parents when they are busy. Going above and beyond will pay off for future raises!
- Respect boundaries. You work in a private home, but that doesn’t mean you can make yourself at home. It is important to remember that this is your job. Behaviors appropriate for discussion in your home need to stay there.