I have been talking about wanting fall to come, and when Fill The Cookie Jar came up with a fall themed cookie challenge, I was so there!
I don’t know why, but I’m fascinated when bacon is used in a, can I say, nontraditional way? Like, chocolate covered bacon. Or, bacon ice cream. Bacon in cookies?
Maybe these wouldn’t be considered a fall themed cookie, but I thought it sang, I’M AM SOOOOOOOOO FALL RELATED!!
The family was all, whaaaat? Bacon cookies?
I was like, YES!
I was surprised when my son questioned this. After all, he did come home with bacon flavored soda.
Come on, now.
Make sure you visit all the other fall themed cookies on our linky after the recipe.
They will make you want to get out your jacket and wait for the leaves to turn.
- Maple Icing:
- Vanilla frosting
- ¼ teaspoon maple extract
- 8 cooked bacon strips-half cut up in bits.
- ¾ cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup molasses
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt (see note below)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Mix shortening and brown sugar. Stir in egg and molasses and mix well. Mix in dry ingredients (including bits of bacon) and stir. Then, cover and chill till firm (1-2 hours).
- Preheat oven to 350°. Roll dough into small balls and roll in white sugar. Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake for 9-10 minutes.
- Let cool. Cut up other half of bacon into ½ pieces and place on top of each cookie. Decorate with icing.