Sometimes, you don’t realize just how much you rely on technology these days to survive until something you take for granted leaves you. One day last week, Jessica was attempting to warm up water for a bottle and our 10 year old ever faithful microwave went “bleep, bleep, buzzz…..” and then nothing.
After falling to my knees and asking the heavens why they had to take my trusty old friend so soon, I got up and started to panic. What would I do now? How would I fix lunch? I looked in the fridge- Oh good, leftovers. Wait. I can’t heat them up in the microwave. I looked in the freezer to see what I will do about supper. I grabbed a package of steak and looked at the time. I’ll have to defrost it. Wait, no microwave. I frantically looked through our cupboards and found a can of vegetables. At least the can opener still works, except how will I heat them up? I slammed the can down on the counter. Just then, my husband came into the kitchen.
“What are you doing?”
“The microwave died and now we can’t eat.”
He looked at me and walked over and pointed to the stove.
“You know, you can use the stove to cook or heat food, right?”
“What did you ever do before you had a microwave?”